Based on feedback from ESWD users collected at meetings in November 2017 and the ESWD User Forum in March 2018, the European Severe Weather Database has been updated to Version 4.4.
A number of changes have been made, particularly to the submission form. The most important changes are:
1. Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan were added, so it is possible to enter reports for these countries. ESSL aims to learn more about storms in Central Asia!
2. The submission form has been simplified substantially.
3. Place and time accuracy have become required fields.
4. Funnel clouds can not be submitted into ESWD anymore.
5. The country can now be changed in the submission form.
6. Impacts of the event can now be indicated by ticking checkboxes. Each type of severe weather has a different set of impacts that can be selected. This step streamlines the reporting of impacts into the ESWD, and makes it easier to compile statistics of severe weather impacts of the storms across Europe.
You can try out the new version by accessign the ESWD website. We welcome your feedback at email@example.com!