7th European Conference
Welcome to the ECSS 2013 Conference website. Here, you will all available information regarding the scientific programme of the conference. This website will continue to be updated.
Venue, Social Events, Hotels
On the ECSS 2013 Website of FMI, you can find details about the Scandic Marina Congress Center, the Social Programme and Lodging options (hotels and hostels). Reservations for the hiking trip to Nuuksio National Park and the Bus and Boat Tour through Helsinki and the Suomenlinna Fortress can be made on the registration page.
Please register for the conference here.
This is where you can also register for the Conference's Social Events and buy additional tickets for the Ice Breaker and the Conference Dinner.
These are the prices for the Conference (including the Ice Breaker and the Dinner):
|Early (until 1 March):
|Normal (before 1 May):
||€ 450, reduced: € 400*
|Late or on-site (1 May or later):
||€ 490, reduced: € 450*|
* The reduced rate applies to ESSL members, employees of institutional ESSL members, members of EMS member societies, official voluntary storms spotters of ESSL, and students.
Abstract submission is now closed.
Oral presentations and Posters
At the conference, there will be oral presentations of 12 minutes each (plus 3 minutes for questions) and two poster sessions. Poster Board width is 95 cm and height 160 cm. We recommend to prepare your poster in portrait A0 format. Poster presenters are requested to hang up and especially remove their posters in time. Please see the Poster Programme Overview below for details.
Those delivering oral presentations are asked to take note of these Oral Presentation Guidelines (pdf).
Travel Grants and Awards
The application for travel grants and awards is closed. The persons who have been selected for travel support have been informed.
Oral presentations are indicated by the abstract number and first author.
The table below lists the allocation of the posters to the respective Poster Sessions. The posters are listed with their abstract number and the first author's last name.
| 15 June 2012
| 1 Oct. 2012
Abstract submission opens
Early registration begins
|10 Jan. 2013
||Abstract Submission deadline
|30 Jan. 2013
15 Feb. 2013
|Notice on abstract acceptance|
| 2 Mar. 2013
||Normal registration begins|
| 1 May 2013
||Deadline for Extended Abstracts
Late registration begins
|15 May 2013
||Conference programme available|
| 2 June 2013
||Registration desk opens|
| 3 June 2012
||Opening of the conference|
The scope of the conference covers all aspects of severe convective storms. Researchers, operational forecasters, and risk and emergency managers are invited to submit contributions. In light of the global relevance of the conference themes, participants from all over the world are encouraged to attend. These are the conference topics (and tentative session titles):
- Impact of storms on society, impact mitigation
- Convective storm and tornado dynamics
- Numerical modelling of storms; storm-scale data assimilation
- Interaction between convective storms and extratropical, Mediterranean, and tropical cyclones
- Floods and flash floods
- Forecasting and nowcasting of severe weather
- Remote-sensing of storms (e.g. satellite, radar, lightning detection)
- Storm electrification; lightning; microphysics; hail
- Storm climate, risk assessments, and climate change
- Collection of storm data; damage assessment
Scientific Programme Committee
The Committee is chaired by Harold Brooks (National Severe Storms Laboratory, USA).
The other Committee members are:
- Pieter Groenemeijer, European Severe Storms Laboratory, Germany (vice-chair)
- Jenni Rauhala, Finnish Meteorological Institute (vice-chair)
- Johannes Dahl, North Carolina State University, USA
- Jean Dessens, Anelfa, France
- Michael Kunz, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany
- Elena Saltikoff, Finnish Meteorological Institute
- David Schultz, University of Manchester, U.K.
- Martin Setvák, Czech HydroMeteorological Institute
- Climent Ramis, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Spain
- Evelyne Richard, Laboratoire d'Aérologie/CNRS, France
- Yvette Richardson, Pennsylvania State University, USA
For questions about local arrangements, you may contact the Local Organizing Committee at ecss at fmi dot fi. Please make sure that your question is not answered on this page or on the ECSS2013 Website of FMI. For questions about the registration for the conference or general questions, please contact ESSL's Conference Secretary, Ms. Magdalena Pichler, at ecss at essl dot org.
The ECSS 2013 Conference is made possible by